Friday, August 12, 2011

How long do you boil sugar and milk to make a syrup?

When I was a kid, my mother used to make something she called a "goo cake". It was just a plain sheet cake with a sticky, sweet top. My mother is gone now, but not long ago I found a set of somewhat vague directions she had about how to make it. You bake a plain cake in a 9x13 inch pan. You poke holes in the cake with a fork. You boil together 1 cup of sugar with 1 cup of milk and pour it over the cake. What it doesn't say is how long you boil the mixture or how thick or thin the syrup is supposed to be; whether the cake is supposed to be cool or still warm when you pour the syrup over it. I would love to try and recreate my mom's recipe if I had better directions. Is anyone familiar with this cake? I remember it being really good with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Yum. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment